Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Blogging, Gelato And Me

First ever blog, first ever post and I'm lost for words

Ok, ok this is something new to me. For some reason, blogging never came to mind, well maybe it did but just a little. It's not my thing and I don't even know if I can keep up with it. 

I'm an active Instagram user, I post something on my Facebook every now and then; mostly food photo,  places with a few (or sometimes long) description and of course selfie's. That's when people started  suggesting that I should start my own blog to write down recipes of food that I make and share anything under the sun or about places I've been digging lately.

Souk Al Bahar - Commercial and Residential Building

Tada! Here I am with my first entry, it took me some time to finally make a blog and even longer to choose which topic to do first. 

And, ages to finish this entry!!! 

So, I will try to be active as much as I can and you might also expect late post from my first travel which eventually lead, to me wanting to travel more often. And I want to share it with you, guys!

The Gelato World Tour 2014: It scooped me away

Who doesn't love gelato? I have to be honest, I have this thing for this divine treat. It's the real deal, I must say. As luck was in favor of me, while I was browsing online I stumbled upon a post about the Gelato World Tour. 

The 3-day Gelato World Tour 2014 launched at the Burj Park in Downtown Dubai last February 13-15, 2014 was brought to Dubai by Carpigiani Gelato University, Sigep-Rimini Fiera, Desita, Franchise Middle East and  in partnership with Emaar. 16 renowned gelato artisans in the Middle East were selected to compete with each other with their unique flavour for the title "World's Best Gelato", and will move up to the grand finals which will be held in Rimini, Italy on the the 5th - 7th of September 2014. 
Downtown Dubai - Clockwise: The Dubai Mall, The Address Hotel and Souk Al Bahar
Below are the 16 gelato artisan who competed for the title:

  • Claudio Bearesi & Cesare Cellie - Bacio Gelato - Flavour: Pistacchio Italiano con Croccante di Mandorla
  • Hassan El Shaer - Cold Stick Gelato - Flavour: Chikoo, Saposilla, Zapota 
  • Andrea Granville - Cone Street - Flavour: Royal Baklava 
  • Joselito Reyes - Cremolata - Flavour Cremo Bueno - 
  • Mohammad Halawa - Dairy More - Flavour: After Eight Crème Brûlée
  • Ahmed Abdul Latif - Dolci Desideri - Flavour: Rose Pistachio
  • Murtaza Dadabhai & Mustanir Inayathussein - Fairy Delights - Flavour: Tanzanian Coffee with Coconut and Cream Caramel
  • Massimiliano Neri - FLOR - Flavour: Black Forest
  • Said Ben Amor - French Bakery - Flavour: Tahini
  • Waheed Abdul - Frutto Gelato - Flavour: Oreo Croquant Gelato
  • Vijay Arora - Gelato Vinto - Flavour: Saffron Pista Gelato
  • Nicolas Reincke & Chandra Raj - Gelato Divino - Flavour: Variegato and Base Ricotta
  • Nazzareno Giolitti, Silvano Giolitti & Andrea Lucatoni Giolitti - Giolitti - Flavour: Pistacchio Puro Sicilia
  • Taysir Al Ghanem - Il Caffe Latino di Roma Gelateria Pasticceria - Flavour: Brown-Bread Gelato
  • Amer Al Syouf - Kanafandi - Flavour: Mastaca with Pistachio Gelato
  • Ismail Al Zaben - PrimoGelato - Flavour: Arabian Dates with Caramelized Walnuts
Entrance was free. The public were able to enjoy free gelato classes, workshop about the history of gelato, as well as games and contest. They also got the chance to watch a live demonstration of how gelato are made, with of course free taste. A gelato pass can be purchase for DH60, which entitles you to two cups of gelato, three additional gelato samples and the chance to vote for the best gelato.

After going through the schedule a day before the 3 day event started, I decided that I'll go on the last day since all programs from day 1 until day 2 will also be on the last day, plus the winner will be announced. After trying to find where the Burj Park is, I finally managed my way - if you're at the fountain area of  Dubai Mall; it's at the opposite side, you need to passed by Burj Khalifa to reach the park.   

There I was in front of the 16 gelato bar, and I couldn't decide which one to taste first, after checking out every bar and tasting every single flavour, I bought my pass which includes 5 cups of gelato;  2 big ones and 3 average size but all of them didn't have any difference they were all the same. I started with the 2 average cups with a Royal Baklava with Pistachio and Oreo Croquant Gelato. And, ofcourse save the big one's for the last plus the third average size ticket so I got myself Pistacchio Puro Sicilia not just once but thrice. 
L-R: Pistacchio Puro Sicilia from Giolitti and Oreo Croquant Gelato from Frutto Gelato
I practically went on gelato-gluttony!
Please, excuse the amount of gelato's I've had. Actually, I had more... 
I basically lost count of how many free samples I had while waiting for the lectures and demonstrations (which was on the schedule guide), I was able to sit in and attend the program where contestants were introduced together with a little explanation of their choice of flavour. The lectures and demonstrations were scrapped off on the last day because of the Judging and Awards Ceremony portion, aside from getting my hands on those delicious gelato, I was really looking forward of attending the lectures. *sigh* 

L: Variegato and Base Ricotta from Gelato Divino.R: Saffron Pista Gelato from Gelato Vinto

Christmas in a Cone - Mastaca with Pistachio Gelato from Kanafandi

Look at those choices, the 16 who are competing are not included here.
Then at about 6:30 p.m the Awards Ceremony for the World’s Best Gelato, Tonda Challenge by IFI and Cookies® Best Taster by MEC3 was announced.  

Gelato artisan Joselito Reyes of Cremolata in Sharjah, UAE bagged the first place with his winning flavour Cremo Bueno, he also won the “Cookies® Best Taster” contest in which participants have to taste-test and identify the ingredients in the gelato while blindfolded.

Rose Pistachio, made by the gelato artisan Ahmed Abdullatif from Dolci Desideri, which is based in the Kingdom of Bahrain took home the second place. He also won the “IFI Tonda Challenge” where participants had to prepare two “perfect cups” weighing 60 grams each.
Pistacchio Italiano con Croccante di Mandorla, made by the gelato artisans Claudio Bearesi & Cesare Cellie of the gelato shop Bacio Gelato from Dubai was in third place.
As requested  by the president of the technical jury, Emiliano Bernasconi -  Executive Chef of the Armani Hotel Dubai, one lucky contestant was  handpicked to compete in the finals too. The Royal Baklava made by Andrea Grandville of the gelato shop Cone Street in Dubai, made it to the fourth place.
As for me, my personal favorites are the Royal Baklava; the richness taste of the baklava in a cone in which you can actually feel a little crunch from the filo pastry is just perfect. Brown bread was great too, yup you heard that right, it doesn't quite taste like brown bread, but imagine putting caramel on your brown bread and enjoying every bit of it. Arabian Dates with Caramelized Walnuts and Rose Pistachio topped with cotton candy got my attention as well, I'm not really into dates and I haven't tried rose water which is widely available in Dubai but having it in a gelato form made me enjoy it. Not to forget Pistacchio Puro Sicilia, for me simple is better and will always be better (I'll explain a little below). 
The winning flavour: Cremo Bueno from Cremolata

Giolitti: It just gets better in time

Mr. Giolitti was kind enough to have this
photo taken with me. Yes, I admit, I am a fan.
One of the participant in the Dubai leg of the Gelato World Tour 2014 was Nazzereno Giolitti, Silvano and Andrea Lucatoni Giolitti. To those who doesn't know yet the name Giolitti is synonymous with gelato; Giolitti is a well-known café & pastry shop, and the oldest gelateria (ice cream parlour)  in Rome. Talk about having a long history of gelato-making

I have been to their gelateria in Rome, I've tried a couple of flavours, I passed by it more than a dozen times and I never (ever) saw Mr. Nazzareno Giolitti so when I found out that he will be coming, I didn't think twice. Fan mode!!!

It might be one of those overrated gelateria, that once you mention gelato, you will be adviced to visit the gelateria. Locals and tourist flock the shop because of the popularity they have, either from word of mouth or base on online reviews and most of the time from curious tourist who happened to walk by the shop and noticed a lot of people inside and even outside. 

From my point of view, it's not only popularity that keeps them on top and why they are loved by many, it's like history in every scoop, the way how they kept tradition up to these days, how they are still classic in a way that it has been the same since it started in the 1890's and it is still being operated by the same family.  

Once you see the exterior of the shop being situated in an old building (which they started renting and now owns) and once you go inside you will have a rustic feel of the place. The variety and flavour of gelato remains true to it's old recipe, the way how it should be; like for example their trademark Pistacchio Puro Sicilia it tastes exactly the same as a pistachio would taste except its cold, nothing too extravagant, purely simple and plain. 

The shop is located at the historical center of Rome, just a few minutes walk from the Pantheon, Fontana di Trevi and Piazza Navona, which is not that hard to missed.

Giolitti - Roma
Via degli Uffici del Vicario, 40
Rome, Italy

Giolitti - Dubai
EMAAR Boulevard, Tower 1
Opp. Burj Khalifa, Dubai

Carpigiani Gelato University: The school for aspiring gelato artisan

Wow, a university were you get to study how to be a gelato artisan. How cool can that be? If only I'd knew that this university (And, Gelato Museum) existed when I was in Bologna during the holiday season, I would have included this on my itinerary. Now, how I wish I could enroll myself in one of the courses they are offering. 

Btw, scholarship offers will be highly appreciated! Lol...

Carpigiani Gelato University
Via Emilia Ponente, 45
40011 Anzola dell'Emilia
Bologna, Italy

To end this post, one thing I realize while I write; is that the more I see the outcome of what I've done or how much it looks better now compare to where I started, I can't help but smile and be proud of myself. I don't really like the idea of having people look at what I've written, I'm not that confident enough. But, as they say practice makes perfect, and here I am practicing and polishing myself. It can sometimes get really crazy because  ideas keeps coming in while I was drafting my entry, and the more it take shape the more I was eager to write more. Honestly speaking, somehow it relaxes me and my mind from the  everyday daily routine.




No comments:

Post a Comment