Thursday, February 27, 2014

Another Blessed Year Ahead: You're not getting old, you're getting better!

Woohoo! It's my brother's special day, but since we won't have time to celebrate today, we celebrated it last night with a simple dinner of his all-time favourite steak and took home some Fleur de Lys. Despite not seeing each other that much because of different schedules, I made it a point to take him out. 

Images are taken from my phone, so it didn't turn out nice

Being an expat means you don't always get to spend special celebrations and gatherings back home, I myself had been away for nearly 6 years that I missed a handful of those events. Gladly, he was able to join me last December to spend Christmas and now his birthday, and looking forward to more celebrations with him, hopefully my sister could join soon. 

24 is the Number: Only the number change, he doesn't

How time really flies. 

My brother is all grown up and now establishing himself. 


I won't turn melancholic, but I will always be here for you!
" A birthday is the first day of another 365 day journey. Enjoy the trip".

Texas Roadhouse: I lost count how many times I devoured on you

Howdy....

So, we met again and again, and again!

I like to keep things simple and so does the birthday boy. Nothing too lavish, since only the two of us will be celebrating, probably followed by preparing something at home one of this days. We have been to Texas Roadhouse more than a dozen of times, aside from they always keep our tummy happy, we also love the fact that service here is just great. Not to forget that it's always entertaining to come, try catching the performance of the friendly staff while they dance to a tune of a country music. 

It's not one of those fancy steakhouse but it's worth paying a visit. It can get pretty busy, with queues that can make you wait for a couple of minutes, especially in the Dubai Mall branch, but we settled to the one close to home (about 10 minutes walk). Once you step inside it transform to a different atmosphere, the interior has a laid-back country look with wooden walls and furnishing all around, plus a big bull's head hanging on the wall facing the entrance to make it look more of the wild wild west, of course it won't be complete without the country music playing behind the background. 
A closer look at the food
Look at those buns!!!
We just ordered what we think we could finish, no appetizers or soup because we will end up full by the time we start on the main course. 

A meal here will never be complete without the house complimentary of their famous buns with cinnamon honey butter dip, and the bucket of salted peanuts. I'm totally in love with the buns, it's served freshly out from the oven straight to your table. It's perfect! 

Our dinner consisted of a medium rare sirloin steak with shrimp skewer, bbq chicken; mashed potato with brown gravy, steamed zucchini and baby carrots, and seasoned rice on the side. 

The Dubai Mall - LG112-2 Fountain Restaurant Area, Lower Ground Level

Deira City Centre - 2nd Level, Deira City Centre
Mirdiff City Centre (Opening in March 2014)

Fleur de Lys: Heavenly dark chocolate mousse on a crunchy biscuit base

Something we have in common, is the love and appreciation for sweets. On normal days, we usually have anything sweet every after meal. So, to end the lovely evening we got Fleur de Lys from Paul to take home with us, just enough to last over the weekend.

PAUL, is a French chain of bakery/café restaurants featuring a specialty menu of gourmet pastries, breads, sandwiches, soups, and more. I have never been to PAUL in France (never ever in France haha) where it all began, but knowing how French people are, I mean they take their food seriously, when I said SERIOUSLY I really mean it, and this has got to be included. 

PAUL, I do, I really do love you. Who wouldn't love your freshly baked pastries, breads, tarts and baguettes that you prepare in house everyday, and special mention to your cakes, it's a magic to my palate and it's the closest I can get to Paris.

But the ambiance could not keep up anymore; it does still look nice, the decor was supposedly to replicate how a French café should be very classy but with added modernity to keep up with what consumer wants, but the glamour seems to be lost. With most of their branches in Dubai always packed with people, cram altogether in small spaces where moving around  is a nightmare and waiting to get a seat is a headache. Nevertheless, I would still go when ever I want to go to Paris for a couple of hour, while enjoying the food.

With branches all around Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Al Ain and Sharjah.


Have a great weekend, guys! 


















No comments:

Post a Comment